Monday, September 8, 2008

Dilemma # 3284

Well, once again I have found myself wrestling with a thought. Last night I had an epiphany for Miss Midas that, at the time, seemed brilliant. Now, I'm having my usual round of doubts.

To be brief, (and cryptic) I'm wondering if I should take out the Shakespeare/Much Ado about Nothing theme and replace it with a Fitzgerald/The Great Gatsby theme.


Overall, I think that the Gatsby theme works better with Jane's character arc. Much Ado about Nothing bears no comparison to the story. Also, I'm enchanted with the idea of having the Top Strata give Last Blast a Roaring 20's theme. I think the Jazz Age, with it's hedonism and extravagance works so well with everything the Top is about.


That said, what average YA reader is familiar with/would relate to F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Great Gatsby? Not many, but everyone knows Shakespeare. And, Last Blast could have a Shakesperian theme. . . maybe.


Thoughts?

7 comments:

Renee Collins said...

gah! I'm on the list at EE.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Kidding, I'm actually excited, in a masochistic kind of way.

Also, I'm fourth on the list. That's gonna take a while, huh?

Kiersten White said...

Probably about a week, depending.

It'll be fun, don't worry!

As far as the theme, hrm...I know Great Gatsby was one of my high school curriculum books, but yeah, don't know about the average YA reader.

Try it, see if it works is the only thing I can tell you.

Helpful, I know ; )

Natalie Whipple said...

To be honest, I remember more about The Great Gatsby than Much Ado. I don't think it would be a bad thing to try if you wanted. And I like the parallels it draws more than a comedy like Much Ado. That whole decadence thing would really fit well with the Top and the 20s and all that.

Renee Collins said...

I think I am going to give Gatsby theme a try, see how it goes. I can't stop thinking about it, so I guess that's a sign of what I really want.

And, one week, huh? That's alot faster than I thought. *gulps*

Natalie Whipple said...

Go for it!

Yeah, EE moves through them pretty quick, he at least does two a week, so it will be pretty quick:)

Joanne said...

You sound like you're really intrigued with the Great Gatsby correlation, and that energy will come thru in your writing! I'd at least explore the possibilities ...

Renee Collins said...

Yeah, Joanne, I think when I really look at it, that I want to use the Gatsby theme if I can. I just got worried when a few people whose opinions I trust said it might not work.

But, I guess in the end, the decision is mine alone and I should go with my gut.