Thursday, August 6, 2009

Just like Old Times

I realize I never post on my blog after midnight anymore. Isn't that why I named it Midnight Meditations? What's up with that? Well, tonight I give you a post in true form. It's 1:08 here. Wee!

A few random thoughts:

1. So, you know how I had this short story that I was "ready" to send off? Well I was waiting on a crit from a published author I have become acquainted with. As of yesterday morning, I thought the story was golden. It has been through five readers and five different rounds of hard edits. I was ready to just send it out.

So glad I didn't. The last crit came tonight. It was encouraging, but she said (in a nutshell) "You can still trim this down quite a bit."

Well, at first I scoffed. Oh brother. I've already shaved over 4000 words off this baby. And that's a lot for a short story (novelette really, but details, details.) I felt like it was generic advice and I was ready to brush it aside.

Again, SO glad I didn't. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I decided to go back into my story and prove that I was right, that the story was in ship shape.

Wrong. I took over 800 words out. I was shocked. And excited. I plan to go through it one more time and just keep slicing.

2. I promised you a little more about my shiny, twinkly new story idea. I want to, but it's too late tonight to go into details. I'll say this. It's Sci Fi. Not YA. Dystopian, kind of . . . Dark. Possibly tragic. And, I envisioned my MC, clear as crystal, from the beginning. She looks almost exactly like this:

(an actress named Sienna Guillory, if you wanted to know.)

More details to come soon!

8 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Cool! So not YA, huh? It's adult? That's exciting! Yes, stay up LATE little missy! Otherwise you'll have to change the name of your blog. OR, you can always cheat and change the times manually. :D

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh, good job with your story! I'm a firm believer that not work is ever really done, even after it's published. Great outlook, I know. *hangs head*

Miriam Forster said...

Don't you love it when you realize you still have to revise something you thought was polished to a high gleam?

So much fun...:-)

Renee Collins said...

Michelle-Don't worry, I do stay up late. 1 a.m. is pretty typical for me. It's awful. :)

Miriam-Oh, it's the BEST! he he. Actually, I did feel pretty excited about making those cuts. For this particular story, I was concerned with word count from the beginning. So it was nice to be able to trim even more when I thought I'd slimmed it as much as I could.

Natalie Whipple said...

Ah, cutting. I've learned a thing or two about that. Glad you could find more words to shave. The tighter the better:)

Terri Tiffany said...

Every time I cut something --it always improves it whether I wanted to or not. Happy Revisions!

Sara Raasch said...

Ooo I love Sienna! She's super pretty! Yay for finding pictures of MC's and trimming stories!

Renee Collins said...

Natalie-Yes, you definitely know what I'm talking about. :)

Terri-I really am happy about it! Probably because I know the story's stronger now.

Sara-It's exciting because I've never found anyone that I've felt looked like my MC's. And this one is super close.