Thursday, June 12, 2008

Writer's Intuition

I figure that if Kiersten can keep up with her blog when she is in Mexico, I should probably throw up a post. I thought I'd give a brief update about my dilemma of Jody vs. Judy.

I pondered recently on the nature of the elusive writer's intuition. Lots of authors talk about it. Apparently, following it is the only way to write your best. So, as Judy and Jody have battled it out in my head, I wondered which one was my true voice. I think I've discovered that it is neither.

My answer was standing right in front of my all along. When I sit down to the computer, I open up Tristan. I don't find myself starting to work on Newy. In fact, I tried once and couldn't write a word. It didn't feel right. It's just not the Newy's time yet. My impulse is to work on Tristan.

So, THAT'S my writer's intuition. It's not a voice in my head. It is my actions, what I do. I don't know if this will means that Tristan will be any more marketable, in fact, probably not. But, I know that I am writing what I am supposed to be writing. And that's enough for me.

3 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

Well there's the answer then--keep going!

Kiersten White said...

Go, Renee, go!

I kept trying to work on my WIP, but it just wasn't coming. Then I started that story on my blog, intending to just write a scene, and now I'm obsessed with it (rivaling Natalie's word counts, even!).

You can't force something you don't love. Good choice, Renee!

Renee Collins said...

I think I was just starting to get cold feet. That, coupled with a new idea that I genuinely think is good, and I just freaked out a bit.