Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Waiting for a tow....

I am a bad driver. Don't believe me? Ask my husband, he seems to have a lot to say on the matter...
Yesterday was one of those days that confirmed it. As I was backing down a very steep drive way, I drove the back tire over a curb and off the edge. We were all safe, but the car was stuck. Like this- Ok, not that bad, but it was still scary.

I tried to put it in first and drive it back over the curb and up the hill, but when I did, the wheels only made a hideous screeching sound and the tires smoked. I did this a few times and my friend even tried pushing the car, but it was no use. I was stuck.
As I stood there in the rain waiting for the tow truck to arrive, feeling humiliated and angry, I had an "ah-ha" moment: I am the car..well, my writing is. Let me explain.

In my writing, I have backed myself over a curb and am hanging off a cliff, helplessly stuck. No matter how I try to move those wheels and make progress on my book, all I get is some hideous screeching and smoke.

Now, in my defense, this has been a busy time. We are managing the apartments we live in and my husband is planning to start law school in the fall , so we are in the middle of deciding where we want to live for the next three years, and I very little time to write, but that feels like a pretty poor excuse. And is it even the lack of time that is hindering me? Or is it just time to move on to a new idea?

I guess, for now, I am just waiting for that tow truck to come and pull me over the edge. That magical beautiful "muse tow truck"

6 comments:

Ruth Josse said...

You may just have too much on your mind right now. When I'm stressed, my writing comes to a screeching halt. Hopefully some mind blowing idea will get you on the road again:)

And I avoid driving with my husband at all costs because of all he has to say about my driving.

Anonymous said...

Using colored font makes it extremely difficult to read your posts in Google Reader.

Miriam Forster said...

IMO, you should keep writing even if you're just scribbling short stories or random scenes. That way when the muse does show up, the way will be open.

Also, I hate moving. Good luck!

Renee Collins said...

Anon-Uh oh, really? Hmm. We'll work on that.

Thanks for letting us know.

Aurora Smith said...

Oh NO, that picture is freaken scary!

Thanks for being #50!

Diana said...

Ruth- I am hoping that is true, and if there was a Back Seat Driver award it would probably go to my hubs :)

Anon- Sorry! We will work on that.

Miriam- That is a very good idea, maybe it’s the thought of having to finish a whole book that scares me.

Read- It’s very scary- as an interesting side note- When I googled pictures of "cars stuck" I was amazed at how many came up that had a scantily clad women stuck in their cars. I guess that is some guy fantasy that I was unaware of!